Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Meet the Members of Vintage Market Team- Laurie of ThreeOldKeys

1- Tell us a bit about you?


I raised 2 amazing kids; they are now amazing adults. I've been a stitcher and quilter for years, stacking up fabric and sewing supplies. I've been a basketmaker, stacking up basketry stuff. I've tried many other crafts and they've stacked up too. And books? Oh yes.

Since January 2010, I've been having a great time with Mr. ThreeOldKeys. The vintage shop was his idea, and we ramble around on the weekends, always on the hunt for interesting pieces. And yes, we've even sold a few things from those stacks.

2- What do you sell?

Our daughter gave me this advice: "Sell what you love." She was right. If it's listed in ThreeOldKeys, it's something I'd be happy to keep. Wood. Enamelware. Letterpress. Old linens. Books. And one-of-a-kind oddities that make me speculate on their history.

3- Favorite decade for vintage?

I plead guilty to combining decades. It's been a lot of fun researching and learning. Maybe we'll eventually narrow our focus to the 1930s and 1940s.

4- Favorite vintage item you own? Or regret having sold in the past?

Our favorites are possessions passed down from both sides of the family. Whether they are valuable antiques or kitschy mementos, we'll never sell those. The skeleton keys that go with 3 old cabinets have become our shop symbols and frequent photo props.

Regrets? Oh, there's a tiny tinge of regret every time I let loose of a book. Any book.

5- Favorite item you are currently selling? And why?

We have a couple of Hall China refrigerator ware pieces listed now. One is a yellow Westinghouse lidded dish, and the other is a blue Hotpoint water server. Their colors, shapes and history appeal to me.

6- Best advice for newbies?

DO NOT LISTEN to yourself or anyone else who says things like this:
You're not computer savvy enough. So don't even try.There are already so many shops on Etsy. You'll never be seen.You're a lousy photographer. Don't list anything until you get really good at it.You think you have wonderful items to list? Don't trust your own taste.If you're not on the Front Page or in other big features, you can't possibly be successful. When someone makes a purchase, don't waste time writing a personal note. Don't think about the enjoyment a customer feels when opening an attractive, well packaged box.Don't bother getting your spreadsheets or accounting system set up yet. How hard could it be to catch up later?Keep your skills to yourself. Don't share your ability to help feature and promote your fellow team members.This ain't supposed to be any fun.

7- Favorite web sites? Or blogs? (clickable, please)

Rikrak's blog: http://rikrakstudio.blogspot.com/
The Elephant Sanctuary: http://www.elephants.com/
And VMTeam members' blogs & shops, listed on the team blog.

8- Favorite movies? Or TV?

Recently I smiled at a few episodes of The Rockford Files and Magnum P.I.

9- Favorite music?

Happy Holidays .... Mannheim Steamroller, of course.

10- Favorite books? Authors?

Anything picked off the shelf by a certain little GrandBunny. It's been awhile since I've read some of my favorites like Larry McMurtry and Ann Tyler.

11- Where do you see yourself in ten years?

My house will have fewer stacks. It will be a masterpiece of organization. Mr. ThreeOldKeys and I will still be bopping around antique stores and flea markets.

12- What else should we know about you/ your business?

My first shop is Loneweever, where I've sold a few pincushions, garlic baskets, gift bags .... etc. since 2008. I confess it's been seriously neglected in 2010. I'm hoping to gear it up again. I miss sewing, and I admire people who run multiple shops!
13- List your (clickable) links.
Vintage shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/threeoldkeys
Handmade shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/loneweever
The blog I said I'd never do but I'm liking it:
http://www.threeoldkeys.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails